Writing in the language of your customer


When I stood up at my first networking meeting and announced that I was a copywriter, I was met with blank faces all round – apart from those already in the know.

Afterwards I realised that I had done exactly what I encourage people not to do. I had talked about what I offer in the language of my industry, when I should have been talking in the language of my audience. So this is what I said at the second meeting …

I see myself as an interpreter. I help businesses translate all that they see as fabulous about their products and services into reasons why people would want to buy from them. And when we’ve got that sorted, I help them get the words right for their web site, brochures, newsletters, case studies, ads – just about anything that helps to sell.

Take the example of the two leaflets advertising massages and therapies. The one lists all the services that the therapist provides – deep tissue massage, Indian head massage etc etc, and leaves the reader to work out what they want. The other lists the issues that the customer wants to address – sports issues, pregnancy pains, stress … This therapist is talking about what she does from the point of view of what the customer needs. And she will be more successful in getting business in.

Take a look at what you say about your business. And then consider if you’re selling the benefits. Will it make them feel good, or save them money, or save them time? The more steps you can fill in for your audience, the more likely they are to buy.

You can read more in-depth articles about copywriting on the Wrightwell web site blog

No comments: